Gidget Goes Comfy: A Functional Beach Girl Outfit That Fits a Purpose

This week's challenge was a double-whammy. Two outfits were to be made and I got behind because I had an actual paid sewing job to do! So, therefore, I am pushing myself to do these outfits as one-day creations, so let's begin!

The first task was to create beachwear for a surfer girl. Unlike some designers, I actually listened to what the surfer girls were saying in their interviews, and picked up that they like function over fashion, and at least one had an affinity for hooded sweatshirts.

So I took to the idea that I wanted to make something with hidden functions that a surfer girl would find useful.

Besides the obvious comfort of the stretchy fabric and the warmth of the hood, I made an extra extra long back panel, so the girl could throw this on right out of the water, sit down on the sand, and not get her shorts wet.

The sleeves have pockets on the side for a cell phone, car keys, or a little pen and paper.

There are two long panels on each side for the surfer girl to fiddle with, as well as use as hand warmers, or to wrap around a cold beer bottle so her fingers don't get numb. These also function as an addition option for a closure.

The elastic waistband was made tight enough so that if she wants to have to front completely open, she just doesn't zip the zipper. The elastic automatically pulls all the fabric to the back.

As for the inside, it's just a standard halter bikini top and a pair of hotpants, but I think they are cute by themselves!

If I sent a girl down the runway with this on, I would definitely instruct her to take off the sweatshirt halfway through and drag it behind her as she exits.

So I know this outfit would probably not win any pretty awards, but it serves the function well, I think! And Nora found it quite interesting to see what she looks like with a tan.






Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment