Bonanza: "The Fake Indian"

I felt like playing with fringe.

I'm sure you know the very same feeling, right?

On the old Western shows, they regularly had Indian characters pop up for storylines, whether it be a scary Native man that is erroneously accused of a crime, or an intoxicatingly attractive Indian squaw in need of saving and/or taming.  The thing is, the actors playing the "natives" all seemed to be caucasians simply wearing tan makeup, i.e. "Fake Indian!"

I acquired this tan loosely woven fabric a little bit ago.  It was most likely intended to be used for window coverings, but I liked the way it easily unraveled at the raw edges and makes a wonderful fringed dress with beaded trim.

I wanted to pair the dress with an 80's denim jacket to add a cowgirl touch.  If you look at the zoom, I used a fringe slashing and twisting treatment used way back pre-renaissance period to show a peekaboo lining and add interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment