Rhoda Morgenstern: Beaded Curtains and Egg-Shaped Seams

Well, you know... You put a head wrap on anyone and automatically she's Rhoda, but that's what made Valerie Harper a fashion icon of her time. The video on the right is the opening theme from Season 3 of "Rhoda." I chose that one not only because it's the opening that shows off her headwraps the most, but strangely enough, I remember this opening from when I was a kid! (I was three when this season aired). I specifially remember the shot of Julie Kavner trying to be as pretty as Rhoda by wearing the scarf on her head and thinking, "She'll never be as pretty as that other girl."

Also, the season one theme is kind of annoying with all the talking, especially the "New York, this is yuh last chyance!" line. Nonetheless, if you'd like to see it, you can do so by clicking here.

Frustratingly, I tried to make this outfit another three-piece with a jacket over the white turtleneck (it's not newly-made. I've used it twice before as an undergarment). I wanted it use the sheer fabric that eventually became the "shawl" first as drapy sleeves on a cropped jacket, and then a sheer blouse after the jacket attempt failed. If you look closely at the pattern, it looks like a beaded curtain, very 70's. The two attempts at a top, though, turned out so badly that I finally turned the remaining fabric into a simple drape over the shoulders. I don't feel too badly about using it as an accessory because I think the outcome looks nice and still has an "urban bohemian" quality about it that I was going for. The only thing I feel bad about is that if I had done this drape thing to begin with, the outfit would have been finished two days ago.

So it's now pretty much all about the skirt if you are looking at what was "designed" about this outfit. I like the skirt. It's a complicated piece that ends up looking easy and natural, which is good. It's like when you spend hours on your hair to make it look like you just rolled out of bed and it looked like that. If you examine it closely, it's a meld of an ever-so-slightly flared straight skirt with a pants-like upper area and a tiered peasant skirt. See it? The hem that separates the two parts is egg-shaped and tips to the back and is totally asymetrical and required much skill to accomplish! I can totally see this being re-created for real in suede, denim, or even corduroy. Again, very 70's and very cool.

Also! TERCIARY WIG UPDATE! This wig is the second to celebrate a third anniversary of use! And it's a men's wig! Happy third use "New Jesus!"

BONUS QUESTION:

Who's The Mary?  Who's the Mary?

(email answers to me or better yet, leave a comment here.  Fastest winning answer gets a prize!)



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. *The* Mary is la madre de Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all lose! The answer is:

    I'M the Mary!
    I'M The Mary!
    You're just an old hag on a deathbed!

    ReplyDelete