Bewitched: Samantha Stevens' Pebble Magic

Look! It's a one-piece! I've been doing a lot of separates lately, so I wanted to make something less complicated (and less time consuming!) while still hopefully keeping it interesting and beautiful.

You know, Samantha Stevens may not be as dear to my heart as a character as, say, Jeannie, but I sure liked the way she dressed and she had good hair.

I remember Samantha often wore shirt dresses on Bewitched. And, it being the 60's, there was usually some kind of loud and/or psychadelic print on it. A well-made shirt dress can not only be beautiful, but also very functional as well, as it is very convenient by fastening in the front, and also looks masculine/feminine, dressy/casual all at the same time. Every woman should have one.


Granted, this print is quite busy, but I like it. I found this fabric (and the shoes!) at a hospital garage sale. It's super retro plus plus, don't you think? From what I realized about working with busy prints from my last outfit, adding a lot of details is pretty much a waste of energy because you won't be able to see them. So, because of this, I refrained from adding any pockets and employed only the simplest of darting techniques to nip the shirt in at the waist.

There ARE, however, details that you may be able to see when you click on the pictures for larger views. I could not just present a completely plainly-made garment, otherwise, it would not be "designer." You can see on the front and back, there is an assymetical diagonal seam across the shoulder with a change of pattern direction from vertical to horizontal on the upper panel. It makes a little bit of a "sunburst" effect at the shoulder at the front.

Also, the skirt section is finely pleated in four different sections and completely flat in others. This took a lot of mathematics skillz, thank you very much.


Lesson at the end of the day? With black material, you can get away with murder/mistakes all day long. The same goes with busy patterns as long as you keep it simple. And far those of you who think that prints make you look fat, no. Only big prints make you look fat. There, I said it!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment