Gilligan's Island: MaryAnn's First Boat Trip

First of all, those of you who know the personalities of my girls should not find it surprising that it took a lot of convincing to talk Raine into portraying innocent and happy MaryAnn.  She wanted to play Ginger.  But when I showed her that my MaryAnn outfit was going to be edgy and the wig she would wear would be one of my human hair ones, she relented and promised to try and smile in the pictures.  She still looks moody in some of them, but she works the outfit, and I can see an excited modern Mary Ann wearing this on a boat!

This outfit is a little MaryAnn/Gilligan combo.  As you can see,  it's inspired by Gilligan's color scheme with the white full-leg pants and red top, and MaryAnn's gingham print tied crop-top blouse.

(Edit: For the life of me, for all of the various costume pictures that I found with Mary Ann's checkered blouse being the signature choice, I could not  find one single picture of Dawn Wells wearing it!  The closest I found was a combination of this and this.)
I experimented with the waistband of the pants by making it quite high with a flare-out at the top, which ended up looking quite nice!  I thought there was a good chance that it would make the wearer's waist look bigger, but I think it might do the opposite by giving the impression that the lady's waist is so small that, Look!  It doesn't even touch the waistband!  As long as the shirt underneath is tight enough, I think I could make an even more pronounced flair next time if I try this look again.
The top utilizes my "bishop sleeves coming out of a short sleeved jacket" look that I am trying to make one of my signatures.  This time it works, thank goodness!  Sometimes it doesn't, and I am still trying to figure out exactly why it looks good with some combinations and other times, it looks just wrong.  Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated!

I wanted to keep Maryann's belly-baring crop top but cover her up more.  Doing a half shirt would be just too obvious, so I made an extra-short cropped jacket instead out of the same material as the undershirt, all of wich were made from less than one and a half  yards of fabric.

As a Bonus, I've put up the scene from "Gilligan's Island" featuring the 3 ladies singing as "The HoneyBees".  I've had this song stuck in my head since I started this outfit, and now, it will be stuck on yours!

My favorite lyric:
"You need me
Like a baby needs it's toy,

Like Hawaiians need their Poi."




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment