Valentine's Day Special: Love, American Style


Happy Valentine's Day, peoples!

I swear, I've been wanting to make a "Love American Style" outfit for months now.  I can't remember a single thing about any episodes that I saw as a kid, (it ran from '69-'74, but my parents watched it in reruns), but that theme song has stuck in my head as one of my favorite TV openings of ALL TIME.  I remember getting so excited at seeing all the changing heads in the hearts, and I lived, LIVED for that moment in which the final heart flipped over and the background singers hit that crecendo, "aaaAAAAAAAA!"  That is why I posed Raine in this second picture to look like she's flipping around.

I found this Red White and Blue fabric from my last trip to LA, and decided that it was so hideous/gorgeous that I had to get it, despite the troubles that I have always had with satins.  I am sure glad I bought it!

Something that I also was reminded of while my friend Paula and I were walking through the fashion district was that the most pleasing of garments usually had only ONE main feature of interest.  Like a funky triple layer of sleeves on a basic coat, or a fancy gathered bustline paired with a modest collar.  It's something that I have to think about when I'm editing my designs.

So with that in mind, I scaled down the focal points of this ensemble by making a simple blouse (the print would have eaten up any embellishments I put on, anyway) and making the yoke of the tight pants the point of interest.  See how there are heart shapes hidden all over it?  They are there.

Originally, I had even more pieces that I was going to incorporate heart patterns, like around the knees and such, but I didn't put them on. I'm glad I didn't, not just because they would have been unnecessary, but because each embellishment would have meant an extra hour of work, and I already had a hard enough time making this as a one-day project.  Actually, it was a half-day project come to think of it!  I started at 3PM and finished taking pictures at 3AM.  Wow!





Anyway, I think that even the piping that I did was unnecessary.  If I had just left that plain and only done the heart "embroidery" around the pockets, that would have been enough.  It's tough to really know the line of going too far and not pushing hard enough.  Jeez!

But I really to like this outfit, especially the blouse.  I think it rocks, and so does Raine!  At one point, I lifted her to move her and the steel rod attached to her leg fell out and she stayed standing ALL BY HERSELF, without Any assistance.  She likes it THAT MUCH.

And you know what else?  I'm so glad I finally was able to make this outfit, so now that it's done, maybe I can get the theme song out of my head!

1 comment:

  1. "And on a star spangled night my love..." Great outfit, but let's talk about the LAS link. I never realized that Happy Days started out as a 15 minute LAS story! That was a great find...

    ReplyDelete